Here are my top five Brands or Designers in random order to watch out for in 2011!
In fairness to all of them, they have been in the business for a while and already made a successful name for themselves. I just think that their popularity and likeable status appears to be getting better and stronger this year 😉
1. Rag & Bone – Founded in 2002, rag & bone had one very clear vision in mind: to make clothes that they and their friends would love to wear every day. With no formal fashion training, Marcus Wainwright & David Neville set about learning how to make jeans. In 2006, rag & bone was selected as a finalist for the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund award and won the 2007 Swarovski Award for emerging talent in menswear, after also being nominated for that same award in 2006. In 2010, David Neville and Marcus Wainwright were named Menswear Designers of the Year by the CFDA (source: http://www.rag-bone.com/ )
2. Gypsy05 – Established in the spring of 2005 by a dynamic brother and sister duo, Osi and Dotan Shoham. Born and raised in Israel, the siblings went on to master their crafts worlds apart. While Dotan was in Los Angeles staking his claim in the garment dye industry, Osi was in Israel gaining momentum in the advertising business. Today, Gypsy 05 has grown into a well sought after brand with representation in over 1,000 stores world wide. Furthermore, with a strong celebrity following, Gypsy 05 has graced the pages of major publications both here and abroad. Since the creation of this brand, Osi and Dotan continue to push the envelope in creating a truly distinctive collection. (source: http://www.gypsy05.com/about.aspx)
3. Zang Toi – Zang Toi established the, “House of Toi” collections in New York in 1989. Since then, Zang has captured the attention of the world’s fashion elite and continues to be characterized by his precocious aptitude and astute business acumen. After making his designs available in Malaysia in 1996 through his specialty dress shop in Lot 10 Shopping Center, in 2004 and 2005, Zang further expanded his operation with a Zang Toi Café in the fashionable Pavilion Shopping Center in downtown Kuala Lumpur, and with the Zang Toi shoe licensing in Malaysia. Zang continues to have a strong presence in the international fashion scene. Having dressed the likes of Sharon Stone, Gong Li, Eva Longoria, Fergie of the Black Eye Peas, Heather Graham, Devon Aoki, Farrah Fawcett, Patti LaBelle, Ivana Trump and Melinda Gates, Zang Toi is now considered an established name in the world of Haute Fashion. (Source: http://www.houseoftoi.com
4. Proenza Schouler – Known for the PS1 bag, “is a New York based modern luxury womenswear and accessories label, founded in 2002 by designers Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez. Proenza Schouler has gone on to achieve critical success since its inception, including the 2003 CFDA Perry Ellis Award for new talent, and the inaugural CFDA Vogue Fashion Fund award in 2004. In 2007, Proenza Schouler received the CFDA Womenswear Designer of the Year award (for which they were also nominated in 2006 and 2008). Following the launch of their first collection of shoes and handbags in 2008, they were awarded the 2009 CFDA Accessory Designer of the Year Award, and were nominated again in 2010. Proenza Schouler is sold in over 100 of the most exclusive retail outlets worldwide, including Barneys New York, Bergdorf Goodman, Harvey Nichols, Colette, Joyce and Lane Crawford.” (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proenza_Schouler). Official website: http://www.proenzaschouler.com).
5. Phillip Lim – is a Cambodian-American fashion designer of Chinese ancestry. He was awarded the 2007 Council of Fashion Designers of America Emerging Talent in Womenswear award for his work as creative director of 3.1 Phillip Lim. He worked at the label Development from 2000 to 2004, and has been the head of 3.1 Phillip Lim which launched in the fall of 2005 to present. 3.1 Philip Lim is Lim’s fashion label. It is projected to have sales of 60 million USD in 2011. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Lim). Official website is http://www.31philliplim.com/